One of the famous drinks for most of the Sri lankans is Iced Coffee. This Coffee is really tasty and refreshing. Any party you go to in Sri lanka this is one of the drinks which will be served. This is not a regular coffee which is made and chilled before drinking. It is made in a different way . There are lots of ingredients added in it. If you are really Calorie conscious stay away from it :P .( Serious)
The other day i got a email from one of my friend , it was about 40 facts about Sri Lankan People . The mail was sooo funny and i couldn't stop laughing after reading that email. ( I have shared the link above ). But everything on that was true. The later part of the post was actually about the Sri-Lankan food and snacks served , the pictures on the post really tempted me . I really liked the 18th point on that post. It was , you go to the restaurant you ask for Fanta , Portello , Chocolate Smak instead of Pepsi or Coke. That is 100% true. We all ask for Chocolate Smak and Iced Coffee every time we go out .
INGREDIENTS: This recipe yields : 1 Gallon + 2 Cups
Filter Coffee - 3oz + 1 1/2 Cup water
Instant Coffee - 1 TSP
Milkmaid - 2 Tins ( 14 oz * 2 )
Sugar - depends on the sweetness
Cocoa Powder - 2 TSP
Cold Water - 14 Cups
Milk - 2 Cups
Almond Essence - 1/4 TSP
Brandy - 1 Wine Glass ( Optional )
- Add Coffee Powder to 11/2 cups of water and boil it till it reduces to 1 cup.
- Strain it really well . Make sure the coffee granules are strained properly.
- In a big bowl ( you need a very big vessel ) add 14 Cups of water and 2 Cups of Milk.
- Then add Milkmaid to Water and mix well.
- In a small bowl add 2 TBLS hot boiling water , dissolve the instant coffee and cocoa powder.
- Mix this instant coffee mixture to the Milkmaid - Water mixture.
- Add 1 Cup of Filter Coffee.
- This is the time to check the sweetness . If you want the iced coffee more sweeter add some sugar and mix well.
- Lastly add Almond Essence and Brandy , mix well.
- Pour it in the Bottles and chill it .
- Take the bottle out from the fridge before serving.
Enjoy the Sri Lankan styled Iced Coffee and do comment how it tastes.
Adding Brandy is optional .
You can replace Vanilla Essence for Almond Essence.
Make sure you strain the filter coffee really well otherwise you will get the tiny coffee granules .
Straining 4 - 5 times helps to get a smooth coffee.
Linking this post to Shurti's sweet celebration
Cooking with white at Merry Tummy