Can anybody say no to a Chocolate Cake which is Super Moist ,Chocolaty and Delicious .. I don't mind having chocolate cakes for all my meals . ( he he he ) . I do not know who invented this recipe but we all Srilankans will say this is a Sri-Lankan Chocolate Cake Recipe. Trust me ..If you are using this recipe nothing can go wrong and you will never go back to the box mix or for a store bought cake.
Last month i had worked with Quite a few Chocolate Cakes . I really loved making each and every cakes .
The face was made with Icing sugar
( I will be writing another post on how i made the face on the cake)
So here comes the recipe for the Cake .
- All Purpose Flour - 200 g
- Cocoa Powder - 50 g
- Butter - 250 g
- Sugar- 250 g
- Vanilla Essence - 1 TBLS
- Milk - 1/2 Cup
- Eggs - 5 ( Small ) if the eggs are medium - use 4
- Baking Powder - 2 TSP
- Baking Soda - 1/2 TSP
- Salt - Pinch
But i do not have a particular formula for the Chocolate butter cream frosting . I normally follow 2:3 formula for butter cream ( which is for 100g butter i use 150g icing sugar ) .
For the Chocolate butter cream i use
- Butter - 1 Stick
- Icing Sugar - 1 1/3 Cup + 2 TBL
- Cocoa Powder - 1/4 Cup
- Vanilla Essence - 1 TSP
- Milk - 1- 2 TBLS
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Butter cream topped with chocolate Ganache and Homemade Caramel sauce , decorated with chopped roasted pecans and Strawberries
For the Cake:
- Grease and align 2 * 8" Cake pans with the parchment paper .
- Pre- heat the oven at 350F.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients to make sure there is no lumps
- In a bowl , cream the butter and sugar till the butter turns fluffy .
- Now add eggs one by one and beat till they are so well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla essence and beat .
- At this stage make sure the sugar is totally dissolved and the batter will be light yellow in color and creamy in texture.
- Divide the dry ingredients into 3 portions.
- Add the dry ingredients and milk alternatively and fold.
- Make sure all the dry ingredients are mixed well .
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 30 - 35 Minutes .
- Mine was done in 30 Minutes .
- You could check the cake by inserting a tooth pick if it comes out clean it is done .
- Once the cake is done , Put it in the Cooling rack and allow it to cool down .
For the Chocolate Butter Cream:
- Cream the butter really well .
- Add the icing sugar and beat till it is creamy.
- Add the Cocoa powder and Vanilla essence and beat well
- Lastly add milk and beat till the icing is fluffy.
- If you want the icing to be in spreading consistence you could add another 1-2 TBLS milk and mix .
For the Cake:
This recipe would make a 1 Kg Cake. ( without the frosting )
I used 2 x 8" Cake pans.
Make sure to weigh the ingredients including eggs .
Make sure Butter , Milk and eggs should be in room temperature.
Never over beat the batter , it tends to make the texture of the cake harder.
Do not over fold / over mix .
Completely Cool down the cake before frosting it.
For the Icing:
Make sure butter is in the room temperature.
If you want a darker chocolate shade you should change the Cocoa powder and Icing sugar measurements because i prefer the icing to be the color which is in the pictures ).
Linking it to Cake Mela