This is my favorite Italian Dessert , it means "Pick me up" , which is made with coffee dipped lady fingers layered with Custard which is made of egg yolks and Mascarpone Cheese . I was planning to make tiramisu for a long time luckily to see Sowmya had suggested Tirmisu for this months Eggless Baking challenge.
I had a hard time searching for Mascarpone Cheese in the area i live . Gayathri sent me a link how to make home made Mascapone Cheese . That was really helpful.
Looking at the dessert we think it is really hard to make it home. Not at all. It is really simple if we organise our selves well. I made the Lady fingers and Mascarpone Cheese one day ahead and the next day i assembled them and allowed it to refregirate for 24 hours.
The Ingredients i used , are the things we always have it in our pantry. The only thing i bought was a pint of Fresh Cream . I managed to divide the Fresh Cream to make Mascarpone Cheese and for the custard.
How I make Mascarpone Cheese: Recipe Source :Baking Obsession
Fresh Cream : 1 1/2 Cup
Lime juice : 1- 2 TBLSP
- Double Boil the Fresh Cream.
- Once you start seeing the bubbles in the fresh cream add the lime juice and keep stiring it.
- Obviously you will not be seeing the curdling process like milk.
- Line a Cotton Cloth in a sieve .
- Remove it from the flame , and pour it in the aligned sieve.
- Place the sieve in a bowl , so that the water from the cream does not mess the kitchen.
- Allow it to cool , Know the cloth , Cover it with a cling wrap ( with the sieve).
- Place it in the Fridge . It takes 24 to hours to set.
- Next day you have awesome Creamy Mascarpone cheese.
How to make Eggless Saviordy Biscuits:
At first i thought , i shall use Grounded almonds on the layers . Then i was not sure whether it will set properly , so i used it in the biscuits. It was crunchy and gave a good flavor to the biscuits.
APF - 1 Cup
Coarsly Grounded Almonds- 1/2 Cup
Salted Butter - 1 Stick ( Room Tempreture)
Condence Milk - 9 TBLSP ( used it upto my taste :P )
Milk- 1/4 to 1/2 Cup
Almond Essence - 1 TSPN
- Beat and combine well the Butter and Condensemilk . Do not over beat them.
- Add the Almond Essence and mix
- Add APF and milk alternatively give it a quick mix with the beater .
- Once everything is half mixed use a spatula and fold .
- Add the Corsly grounded Almonds and Fold
- Using a piping bag , Pipe the batter in a greaced tray like we do eclairs.
- Bake it in a preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes @ 350F.
Once it is baked . Allow it to cool in the wire wrack and store it in the air tight box.
How i made the Custard:
Mascarpone Cheese - Made with 1 1/2 Cups of Whipping Cream
Fresh Cream - 1/2 Cup
Condense Milk - ( 200 gm ) Depending on the sweetness you want
- Whip up the fresh Cream , to soft peaks.
- Keep it a side.
- Combine the remaining Condensemilk ( which i used for lady fingers) and Mascarpone Cheese .
Give it a quick mix with the beater.
- Fold the Fresh Cream and condensemilk mixture
Now you are ready to assemble the Tiramisu
Note - Do not over beat the condensemilk and Cheese , It might go watery.
Do not think it is too much of condensemilk , It was perfect sugar for me.
For Soaking :
Water - 1 1/2 Cups
Coffee Powder - 3 TBLSP ( If you want a lighter flavor reduce the amount of coffee)
Boil the water and add 3 TBSP of Coffee.
Strain it as you dont get any coffee Granules.
When soaking use warm coffee.
I did not use sugar on cofee , Because i had enough sugar in my Biscuits and Custard.
How to Assemble:
- Dip the Biscuits in the coffee and assemble it in the Tin.
- Pour the Custard Mixture , spread it evnly and do the layering again till the Biscuits are over.
- Refridgerate it for 24 Hours or till it is firm.
Dust some Unsweetened Coco Powder and Garnish with some chopped Almonds.
I had 3 layers in my Tiramisu and Served 4 Big Pieces
Linking it to Shruti's Sweet Creations