Karupu Kadalai Urundai Kulambu is the same like Parupu Urandai Kulambu. It goes really well with any Rice Varieties , Dosa's and Idiyaapam's.
Medium sized Onions- 1 Sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 TSPN
Tomato - 1 Diced
Tamarind Puree - Little
Chili Powder - 1/2 TSPN
Cinnamon Sticks- Small Piece
For Dumplings ,to Grind:
Black Channa Dal - 1 Cup
Water - as needed for grinding
Seasonings to Dry Roast and Grind:
Urud Dal - 1/2 TSPN
Fennel Seeds - 1/4 TSPN
Coconut - 1/2 Cup
Pepper Corns - 1/2 TSPN
Dry Red Chili - 1
a) For Dumplings:
- Soak the Black Channa Dal over night.
- Grind it along with the ingredients listed under for dumplings to Grind.
- Make small balls and steam it for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Put these steamed balls in warm water and keep aside.( Dumpling will absorb the water and it will be soft, extra water can be added in the gravy) * optional step
b) For Seasoning:
- Dry Roast the Ingredients till they are brown .
- Grind it along with little water till it is a paste.
- Keep it aside.
c) How to make the gravy:
- In a pan , temper Cinnamon Sticks. After that add Mustard seeds , Urud dal , Fennel seeds.
- Once they are golden brown , add Asafetida .
- Add onions and cook till they are golden brown.
- Now Ginger , Garlic paste till the raw smell goes and cook till it leaves from the side of the pan.
- Then add diced Tomato and cook.
- Add Salt , Turmeric and chili powder and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add some water and Tamerind puree ; allow it to boil.
- Add these boiled dumplings and allow it to absorb the Gravy .
- Add some more water and allow it to boil.
- Lastly add the grounded seasoning and cook till the gravy becomes thick.
Linking this event to Virunthu Unna Vaanga , Spot Light , Recipe Junction , Gain Popularity