Srilankan curries and gravies have peculiar taste because we add thick coconut milk in it. The difference between normal dhal curry and ours is the way we cook .Mostly Our foods are cooked in a clay pot. That brings out the flavor . This parippu curry can be eaten with Pol Rotti , Rice , Bread , Pittu and Sting Hoppers .
Mysoor Dhal - 1/2 Cup
Green chillie - 1
Dry Red Chillie - 1
Onions - 1/2 Chopped
Garlic - 4 Chopped
Tomato - 1/2
Pepper corns - 1/4 TSPN (Corsely Grinded or crushed )
Chillie powder - 1/2 TSPN
Corriander Powder - 1/4 TSPN
Thick Coconut Milk - 1/4 Cup
Salt - To Taste
Mustard seeds - 1/4 TSPN
Curry Leaves - A String
Water - 1 1/2 Cup
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 TSPN
Jeera - 1/ 2 TSPN
1. Wash the dhal properlly and cook it along with 1 1/2 Cup water , Salt , Turmeric powder, Crushed Pepper corns and green chillie in a medium high flame.
2. It will probably take 10 to 15 minutes to get cooked
3.In another samll pan , add oil . Once the oil is hot add the mustard seed. Allow it to splutter.
4. Add Jeera , once it turns brown add Dry red chillie , onions , garlic and curry leaves .
5. Once the onions turned brown , add chopped tomatoes and cook well.
6. Add chillie power and corriander powder and cook.
7. In the meanwhile check the Dhal ,add the coconut milk in it. Allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Once the dhal is combined and cooked well with coconut milk add the Onion , tomatoe mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
9. Serve it hot
Notes - Can add more water in middle if the dhal gravy is becoming dry and thick.
You can add or reduce Chillie powder according to your Taste.
Do not over cook after you add coconut milk .