I normally make puttu with Rice Flour or All Purpose Flour. So this time i wanted to try this with Whole Wheat Flour ( I used Ashirvad brand ) . It was easy making it . It was so soft like the rice puttu. Normally when i eat All Purpose flour pittu , i feel heavy , this one was light and filling . I will definitly make this often.
Normally when we make pittu flour at home . We soak the rice in water , drain the water ,dry the rice , grind it to flour , and roast the flour / steam the flour before using it.
In this Wheat Pittu Version , i used store bought flour so i steamed the flour first , allowed it to cool . Stained it took the lumps out . This process it little time consuming but the out come of the pittu after steaming is awesome . The pittu is light and soft.
Steamed Whole Wheat Flour - 2 Cups
Shreaded Coconut - 1/2 Cup or more
Salt - As per taste
Hot boiling water - As Required. (1 cup or lesser )
1. In a large bowl mix salt and flour together.
2. Add quarter cup of water first and mix it with a folk or spoon .
3. Once mixed , start sprinkling hot water and mix till it is crumbly in consistency.
4. If you want the texture of the pittu , really small and soft , Put 1/4 of the mixture in the mixie give it a quick mix probably for 2 seconds. ( Do not put whole flour mixture in the mixie at one time , do it little by little) -( This is My friend - Sunithra's Technique).
5.The the raw pittu with shreaded coconut.
6. Put it in the steamer and steam it for 10 - 15 minutes.
Pitu can be served Paippu curry , Sambol , Chicken /Mutton / Fish Curry , Milk and sugar , Kithul and milk , Banana , Channa Curry the list goes on . (Typing this itself tempts me so much .)
- Steaming the flour before using it will make the pittu softer
- Make sure to use only hot boiling water.
- Do not add too much of water each time , it makes a dough