Carrot Rice is such a simple yet flavorful south Indian dish , which can be made in couple of minutes . If you have kids at home .This is one of the best dishes to make , they are simple to make , they are not spicy but they are flavorful...
Normally during baby showers we do make 9 types of rices , this is one among them.
Carrots - 1 Cup Grated
Basmathi Rice - One cup
Onions- Chopped into small pieces
Green Chili - 2 Chopped really small
Cinnamon - 1 Inch long
Cashews/Peanuts - Optional
- Cook the rice along with Cinnamon Stick , It gives a good flavor to the rice . Allow the rice to cool .
- Heat the butter , once butter is melted and hot , add cardamom , once you get the flavor add Cumin Seeds , when it turns golden brown add Chopped onions and Curry leaves and Green Chilies allow that to cook . It just takes a minute to cook .
- Lastly add the Grated Carrots , Salt and Turmeric Powder . Cook for couple of minutes till the raw smell of turmeric goes.
- Once the carrots are cooked , Turn of the stove allow it to cool and mix it with the rice.
- Adding nuts are optional .
- Do not over cook the carrots .It will probably takes 2 to 3 minutes for it to cook.
- I squeezed out little juice from the carrots , i had a fear that rice will turn too sweet .
- I didn't want to add Mustard seeds and Urud dhal . You can add them before adding Cumin seeds.