This month's Home bakers challenge was Bread. 4 options were given and we had to choose one out of them. These were suggested by Manjula Kanted from Desi fiesta .thank you Priya and Manjula for the wonderful challenge .i loved baking this bread.
1.Rainbow swirl classic bread.
2.Fresh Strawberry chocolate Stuffed Monkey Bread.
3.Chocolate Marble Asian Bread
I wanted to do Fresh Strawberry Chocolate stuffed Monkey Bread , But there are no takers for it at home . So i decided to make a spiced Garlicy Monkey bread . It was a hit at home . The bread Vanished within minutes . The twist in the bread was i has stuffed the sauted grated garlic in the bread . .
Though the filling was just a simple sauted garlic but the bread had an awesome flavor and taste.
When it was baking in the oven the whole house smelled soooo good.
I still wonder who would have named it " Monkey Bread" and why was it name like that ?
Normally monkey bread is a sweet , sticky , gooey pastry served for breakfast. It is also has so many different names like monkey puzzle bread, sticky bread, African coffee cake, golden crown, pinch-me cake, pluck-it cake, bubble loaf and monkey brains
For the Dough:
- All Purpose Flour 1 and 1/2 cups
- Active Dry Yeast 1 tsp
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Sugar 1/2 tsp
- Butter 1 tbsp(soft at room temperature)
- Warm Milk 1/2 - 3/4 cup
For the Spicy Topping :
- Dried Parsley Leaves
- Chili Powder
- Sauted Grated Garlic
For the stuffing :
- Garlic - Grated
- Olive Oil
To Make the dough:
- In bowl, add flour, salt, sugar, yeast and combine them well .
- Using a dough hook start kneading them by adding warm milk little by little at a time .
- Once it had formed a dough and add softened butter and combine well.
- On a lightly floured surface Knead dough for about 7 - 8 minutes .
- Rest the dough for an hour in a bowl which is greased with little oil.
- Cover it with a wet kitchen towel .
- Clean the garlic , Grate it and keep it a side .
- In a pan , heat the olive oil , add the grated garlic and sprinkle some salt and saute it till the raw smell of the garlic goes.
- Rest the mixture till the flavors combine .
How to make a Monkey Bread with Filling:
- Grease and dust a 8" pan , keep it ready .
- Punch down the air in the risen dough . Divine it into equal sized small balls .
- Knead each ball , stuff some sauted garlic , seal it properlly , place it in the greaced pan.
- Bake the dough for 25-30 minutes.