It had been almost couple of years that i had eaten / made crab at home . I remember mom used to buy fresh crabs when she is making curries. But i really don't have the guts to buy fresh crabs the reason behind this is i feel bad/ scared to kill them and is too much of work of cleaning them . I bought these fresh pre-cleaned , medium sized crabs.
I had been searching for drumstick leaves from the day i had been planning to make this curry .I have alternated the drumstick leaves with bunch of coriander leaves and mint leaves.If you are looking for a fragrant ,spicy, flavorful and a tasty curry you got to try this one. I had used whole a lot of spices to give the flavor to the curry. This curry is best served with plain steamed rice.
Medium Sized Crabs
Oil - 2 TSPN
Cardamom - 2 ( Crushed )
Cinnamon - Medium sized
Urud Dal - 1/2 TSP
Cloves - 3
Red Onion - 1 Sliced.
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 TSP
Fennel seeds - 1/2 TSP
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 TBSP
Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup ( Thick)
Coriander leaves - 1 Cup
Mint leaves - 1/2 Cup
To Wash & Soak :
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 TSP
- Salt - 1 TSP
- Fennel Seeds - 1TSP
- Black Pepper - 1TSP
- Dried Red Chilies - 3
- Urud Dal - 1/2 TSP
- In a heavy bottom pan , heat some oil . Add Cardamom , Cinnamon and Cloves allow it to brown.
- Then add Mustard seeds allow it to splatter. Then add urud dal and fennel seeds.
- Once they are brown add the sliced Onions , Saute till they are golden brown.
- When the onions are caramelized add the ginger garlic paste. Cook till the raw smell goes.
- Add some salt and turmeric powder ,cook for a minute.
- Then add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes oozes out . Keep the dish closed with the lid.
- At this stage add chili powder and coriander powder .Sprinkle some water and cook .It takes around couple of minutes.
- Then required amount of water . Allow it to boil . Then add the crabs and cook . When the crab turn it's color to light orange add the grounded paste and cook till the raw smell goes .. ( keep it closed)
- Lastly add the thick coconut milk and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Sprinkle the coriander and mint leaves .