This month on Home Bakers Challenge the theme chosen by +Priya Suresh was Biscottis . I had already had posted the Savory version of biscottis . When i was searching for more apple recipes after my apple picking , I came a cross this eggless version of biscottis which substitutes apple sauce for eggs. Isn't it cool . The taste was fabulous with crunchy almonds in every bite .
Good thing about this recipe is Apple sauce gives you natural sweetness and you require to add less amount of sugar and the fat content is much lesser than usual, still you will not miss the goodness of biscottis .
All Purpose Flour - 3/4 Cup
Baking Powder - 1/4 TSP
Salt - 1/4 TSP
Sugar - 3 TBLS (Depending on the sweetness of apples)
Vegetable oil - 1 TBLS
Vanilla Extract - 1/2 TSP
Almonds - 1/3 Cup
Apple - 1/2 to make a puree about 1/4 Cup. ( You might need more or lesser depending on forming the dough )
- Pre- heat the oven at 350F.
- Aline the baking tray with parchment paper .
- Combine all the dry ingredients together ,except sugar .
- Combine Apple sauce , sugar , vanilla extract and oil . Mix till the sugar is dissolved.
- Now add the apple sauce mixture and almonds to the dry ingredients and combine all with hands.
- This will make a smooth dough .
- Shape the dough to the shape of a log , about 3 inches wide and 3/4 inches thickness.
- Transfer it to a baking tray .
- Bake it for 25 - 30 minutes till it is firm.
- Once it is done , take it off the oven and cool it for 15 minutes.
- Using a knife slice the biscottis cross wise and arrange the biscottis in the baking tray
- Now decrease the temperature to 300F and place the baking tray in the oven .
- Bake it for 10 minutes on each side. Once they are done place it on the wire rack and allow it to cool completely .
Note - I had used apple puree / Sauce made at home . You could use store bought apple sauce .
Depending on the sweetness of the sauce adjust the sugar level for the biscottis .
Linking it to the event cooking with red @ MerryTummy