This months challenge on Sweet Fantasy Club # 2 , Panna Cotta was chosen for the fusion Dessert . +Preeti Garg allowed us to choose any flavor or topping of our choice. As soon as i knew that we can choose any flavor , i started dreaming on the flavors and ended up with Pina colada .
Panna Cotta is an Italian Dessert made by combining cream , milk and sugar mixing with gelatin and let it cool until set . It can be served with berries , caramel , chocolate sauce or fruit coulis . It is light , smooth and creamy in texture and it melts in mouth .
Pina Colada drink has Pineapple juice , Cream of Coconut and rum in it . Bringing the Flavor of Pina Colada in Panna Cotta was a bit challenging . Adding cream of coconut would make the Panna Cotta too creamy and i didn't like the idea of mixing all the ingredients together , so i came up with this layered Pina Colada Panna Cotta . The first layer has Pineapple jelly ,the second layer has Cream of Coconut and the third layer was Caramelized Pineapples.
For Jelly :
Pineapples - 4 Slices ( I used Can pineapples)
Pine apple juice - 1/4 Cup
Gelatin - 2 1/4 TSP or one packet.
Sugar - 1 TBLS ( you can increase according to your sugar level)
Salt - Pinch
For Panna Cotta :
Fresh Cream - 1/2 Cup
Thick Coconut Milk - 1/2 Cup ( i made it at home )
Sugar - 2 TBLS + 2 TSP ( according to your sugar level )
Gelatin - 2 1/4 TSP or a packet
Water - 3 TBLS
For Caramelized Pineapples:
Chopped Pineapples - 1/2 Cup
Butter - 1 TBLS
Sugar - 1 TBLS
Salt - Pinch
To Make Jelly :
- Puree the pineapples ..
- In a saucepan ,Sprinkle the gelatin over the pineapple juice. Let to sit for couple of minutes until it blooms.
- Stir in the sugar , pinch of salt and the pineapple puree in the gelatin mixture and warm over low heat.( This process is to dissolve the sugar and the gelatin mixture , so do it in a mild heart ) .
- Once the sugar and the gelatin mixture is dissolved completely pour it in the dessert bowl ( cling wrap the top of the bowl ) and allow it to set in the refrigerator .( It probably would take 2 - 3 hours ).
To Make Panna Cotta:
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the coconut milk . Let it set for couple of minutes until it blooms.
- Stir in the sugar and warm over mild heat until the sugar and gelatin dissolves.
- Lastly whisk in the fresh cream , Take off the heat and allow it to cool down for ten minutes .( Cooling down before pouring in the dessert bowl is not to ruining the pineapple jelly which is already set ) .
- Once it is cooled down , pour it in the dessert bowl . refrigerate it till it gets set.
To Make the Caramelized Pineapples:
- In a saucepan ,stir in sugar and butter over medium heat.
- Sugar will get dissolved and this is the initial stage of caramelization ( keep stirring with the a wooden spoon as it can get burnt very soon )
- Lastly add the Chopped pineapples ,sprinkle pinch of salt and cook for two minutes till they turn brown .
- Cool it down completely before garnishing on top of set panna cotta.
- The amount of sugar i had used is for my sugar level . You could add more or lesser depending on your taste.
- I used very little salt you could omit it too . But it brings a good taste.
- The more shallow the dish , Faster the pudding will set. Give it some time to set.
Linking it to tuesday's table @ Love in the kitchen , Continental Recipes