Baguette - Bakers dream bread . I am pretty sure anyone who loves baking , baguettes are in the to - do list .
I had this in my to-do list for along time . I tried making baguettes with sour dough , believe me i was ashamed to call me as a baker for some time. They turned out so bad . I really don't know where it went wrong . Then i kept postponing it .
Finally i made baguette for the Home bakers Challenge. The recipe was suggested by +Priya Suresh . It turned out to be fantastic . The bread had nice golden crust . It was perfect for the Garlic Cheese toast i made that evening ( Recipe to be posted ) .
This recipe was quite simple using yeast . The sour dough recipe i made , actually took three days to make sour dough and finally it gave me disappointment . One good thing in that was , i used only 1 Cup of flour . So i didn't lose that much of ingredients :P .
All Purpose Flour - 2 Cups
Sugar - 1 TSP
Warm Water - Approximately 3/4 cup + ( might need another 1 TBLS )
Salt - 1 TSP
Yeast - 1 TSP
- In a bowl add sugar and yeast to the warm water and mix it well . ( Make sure the water is warm , not hot . If its hot it will kill the yeast ).
- Keep the yeast mixture covered . Allow it to sit for couple of minutes till it turns frothy / Bubbly ( It means the yeast is active).
- In another bowl add flour and salt . Pour the yeast mixture and mix it initially then knead it using hands / stand mixture / beater with dough hook for approximately 10 minutes.
- Once you see the gluten forming in the dough cling wrap the dough in a greased pan ,allow it to proof for an hour / till it doubles in size. ( When you stretch a piece of dough , you can see a elastic sort of a thing , that's how gluten forms ) Check this site .
- Depending on the size of the bread you knead , divide the dough.
- Dust some flour before working on the dough .( helps not to stick to the counter )
- Take the portion of the dough and roll it to the shape of rectangle.
- Roll , opposite sides towards the middle of the dough.
- Flatten it and roll one side of the dough again towards you and press the edges well with your figures.
- Roll the dough to form baguettes .
- Place the baguettes over the flour dusted cloth . Cover the Baguettes with a wet muslin cloth and keep it in a warm place . Allow it to raise for another hour .
- Once it is raised , Preheat the oven at 400F.
- Brush the baguettes with water and make slashes , dust some flour over it .
- Keep a bowl of water in a corner of the oven and bake the baguettes at 420F for 25 minutes. ( Baguettes are ready if you hear a hollow sound when they are tapped )
- cool them completely .
Monday - Mix it up Monday, The Scoop, Made with love Monday, Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks , Inspire me monday , Make the scene monday , Inspiration Monday ,cooking for seven dwarfs , Much Ado about monday , Craft - o-Maniac monday , Made by you monday
Tuesday - Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, , Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home , Tasty Tuesday @ Anyonita Nibbles, Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen, Handmade tuesday
Wednesday -Buns in the oven , Lady behind the curtain , Wined down wednesday, Wonderful food wednesday ,Show and share wednesday , The wednesday roundup , Weekend Retreat