I have never imagined that i would do a Salted Caramel Sauce at home. Once when i was going through the google images about the Chocolate Cake with Caramel butter cream frosting , i was tempted to give it a try ;) .. When i was making the Caramel Sauce , the house smelled soooo good.
This is the recipe for the Caramel Sauce :
Ingredients you need :
Granulated Sugar - 1 Cup
Salted Butter - 6 TBLS ( Room Temperature )
Heavy Cream - 1/2 Cup ( Room Temperature )
For those who are going to do it for the first time , here are few tips to be noted:
- Try to use a big Heavy Bottom Saucepan.That will be easy to handle the sauce because when you add the butter and the cream , the caramel will bubble up badly.
- Keep Stirring the sugar initially to help it to melt at the beginning, but stop stirring it once it has completely melted .It is just to keep it from seizing.
- The caramel should be reddish brown in color and it should have just started to smoke.This is when you add the butter into it.
1.Add the sugar in a Large Heavy Bottom saucepan .Heat the sugar in a medium high heat. Keep stirring it.Once the sugar starts to melt , you will be able to the sugar starts sticking on the sides and it will form clumps. It just happens, do not worry about it . Keep whisking it and it will melt down completely.
2.Once the sugar is completely melted ,it will reach a amber color with a beautiful aroma. This is the point where you have to keep watching the caramel very carefully as it can go from perfect caramel to burnt in a matter of seconds.
3. This is the stage when you add the butter. Be very careful at this stage because the butter bubbles up.Keep stirring the caramel mixture till the butter is totally melted.
4. Once the butter is totally melted , Remove the saucepan from the heat . Add the Cream into the Caramel. Whisk it thoroughly until Cream gets incorporated with the Caramel.
5. One the Cream is incorporated completely , that is the sign that your Salted Caramel Sauce is ready for use.....let it cool to the room temperature.
Once it is cool the Caramel Sauce tend to go harder than before. You can store the Sauce up to 2 weeks. If you are going to use it , just warm it up a bit .