Lotus Root is widely used for cooking throughout Asia . All the parts of Lotus ( Flowers , Seeds , Leaves and Roots) are edible and can be used for many purposes. The dried seed heads are used for decorative purposes and for flower arrangements. Young Lotus stems can be used for Salads . These roots can be used in Soups , Deep - Fried , Stir - Fried , Pickles .
Lotus Roots are crunchy in texture sweet-tangy in flavor.
Lotus roots have been found to be rich in dietary fiber , vitamin C, potassium, Thiamine, riboflavin, vitamin B6, phosphorus, copper, and manganese, while very low in saturated fat.
Onions - Sliced
Garlic - Chopped
- Wash , Clean and Slice the Lotus Root .
- Pressure Cook the Lotus Root with Salt and Turmeric Powder. ( Probably 2 Whistles ) . Drain the water .
- Heat the oil , Add Mustard Seeds , Cook until the Mustard Seeds Splutter. Then dd the Fennel Seed. Cook it till is golden brown .
- Add the garlic and fry and then add ginger paste and cook by adding little salt.
- Add the pressure cooked Lotus roots , Chili Powder , Coriander Powder and Turmeric Powder and roast the Lotus Root till they turn Golden brown.
- Lastly add the sliced onions and half cook .
- I pressure cook the lotus root because i get only frozen one's.
- The water which is drained can be used for gravies or rasam's.
- You can even steam the lotus root.
- For more flavor add Mini dried Shrimps.