My love for these Chettinad Style Biriyani's were always there right from my college days . There was a Chettinad Restaurant right opposite to my college . We never missed a sunday without eating those Biriyani's. Even now , most of the sundays i make either Chicken biriani , Mutton biriyani , Prawn Biriyani or Fish Biriyani .
As my Policy there is never a good sunday without a Biriyani . So lets see how i make this simple Mutton Biriyani with bursting flavors on it. It is a never fail Chettinad Style Biriyani which is easy to make. This recipe is adopted from my Mom's Chicken Biriyani .
My mom used to say there is always a proportion when you are making Biriyani like how much water you should use for one cup of basmathi rice , How much tomatoes should be used for 1 Medium Sized Onions.
- -Garlic paste and and fry till the raw smell goes. When the Ginger-Garlic paste sticks to the bottom sprinkle some water add these Chopped Mint leaves and Coriander leaves and saute them . Once the ginger - garlic paste sticks to the bottom of the again add these chopped tomato and cook in a medium flame.
- Add the Garam Masala and Salt to the Onion -Tomato mixture and cook . When the raw smell goes add the marinated Mutton mixture , and 1/4 Cup of water and slow cook by covering it with the lid . Occasionaly Stir it by sprinkling water as it does not stick to the bottom. It might take 30-40 Minutes for the mutton to get cooked .
- At this time check and adjust the salt and spice level . Add 1 1/2 cup of Basmathi Rice and 2 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 Cup of water , mix it properly. Add 1 TSPN of butter and close it with the Pressure cooker lid , put on the whistle , keep it in the Medium High . Allow it to whistle for two times. Take off the flame and rest it till the pressure goes.
- Once the Pressure is gone open the lid allow the biriyani to cool. Do not try to take the biriyani with spoon when it is hot . It will break the rice.
- Once the biriyani is cooled down Mix the biriyani with spoon.
- I have used butter in Biriyani , it gives a good flavor to the Biriyani .
- Adding milk also gives a flavor , it is optional .If you do not want to add milk , you can add water.
- Allow it to whistle only twice or biriyani might stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the biriyani is warm down , put the biriyani in a large bowl and mix it . Do not over stir the biriyani as it might break the rice.