This is my family's all time favorite Mutton Curry . It is simple and easy to prepare , yet the taste and the flavor are delicious.. The mutton is carefully cleaned and cut into small cubes , then marinated with curd along with chili powder ,turmeric powder and salt and then cooked with home grounded spices.
The home grounded spice powder gives an excellent flavor to the dish . My mom used to cook mutton only once a month , because she says it is high in cholesterol , Yes i agree because the thick oil layer which forms on the curry , it goes into the stomach anyways :) . Mostly what she does is , she cooks the gravy allow it to cool and lastly she takes out the oil layer with a spoon or a tissue . When she is cooking the mutton she adds potatoes because she says , potatoes absorb little oil , only the and excess oil will form the layer .
When the mutton is marinated in curd , and slow cooked ,you get an awesome , non rubbery , tender mutton . Initially i used to pressure cook the mutton , even if i keep 15 whistles it gets chewy and rubbery , then i started to slow cook . Now i always get a no fail mutton curry.
To dry roast & grind it to powder :
1. Dry chilies -2
2. Pepper Corns - 1/2 TSPN
3. Fennel Seeds - 1/4 TSPN
4. Urud dal - 1/2 TSPN
5. Curry leaves - 1 Strand
To Marinate : ( Marinate it for 30 Minutes - 1 hour )
1. Mutton - 1 kg
2. Curd - 1/2 cup
3. Chili Powder - 1 TSPN
4. Coriander Powder - 1/ 2 TSPN
5. Salt - To taste
6. Turmeric powder - 1/2 TSPN
Other Ingredients :
1. Onions - 1 Medium - Sliced.
2. Tomatoes - 1 Chopped
3. Ginger garlic Paste - 2 TBLSP
4. Chili Powder - 1/2 TSPN
5. Coriander Powder - 1/4 TSPN
6. Turmeric Powder
7. Coriander Leaves
8. Thick Coconut Milk - 1/4 cup
To temper -
2. Mustard seeds
3. Urud dal
4. Fennel seeds
1. Temper the ingredients under " To Temper ".
2. Saute the onions till they turn brown , then add the ginger - garlic paste and cook till they stick to the pan.
3. Then add the chopped tomatoes and cook till the raw smell goes .
4. Once the onions- tomato paste sticks to the pan , sprinkle some water and cook a little .
5. Then add the " Marinated Mutton " , and grounded spices and cook it in slow flame for couple of minutes.
6.Then check the spice level and salt and adjust it to the taste . Add a cup of water and close it with a lid and cook in slow flame till the mutton gets cooked.
7. Probably it will take 50 minutes to an hour.
8. Once it is cooked , add the coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes.
- When adding the chili powder to adjust the spice level , make sure the curry is little spicy because lastly we will be adding coconut milk .