A friend of mine asked me to bake some cupcakes for the potluck at her house. When we were calculating the numbers, it was around for 40 People ( including kids). Then we both were discussing what cake to make for the party , we came up with basic vanilla cupcakes with my signature caramel butter cream frosting . Later we noticed the potluck was on a Friday and majority people don't eat eggs. So I decided to make these eggless version.
The cake was super moist , fluffy and everybody loved it . The Salted Caramel Butter cream accompanied the cupcakes really well.
For the Cupcakes: Recipe source: Nita Mehta
APF - 2 + 2/3 Cups ( 300 gms )
Thick Yogurt - 1 Cup
Sugar - 3/4 Cup + 2 TBLS ( 150 - 180 gms )
Cooking Oil - 1/2 Cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 1/2 TSP
Baking Powder - 1 1/4 TSP
Baking Soda - 1/2 TSP
For the Salted Caramel Buttercream:
Butter - 2 Stick ( 1 Cup)
Icing Sugar - 2 Cups + 2/3 Cups
Vanilla Extract - 1 TSP (Optional)
Caramel Sauce - 1/2 Cup or Depending on your taste ( Recipe )
Fresh Cream /Milk - 1 TBLS
For the Cupcake:
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Align the Muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Beat the sugar and yogurt till the sugar gets dissolved.
- Now add the Baking powder and Baking soda . Mix well . Allow it to rest for 5 minutes. The mixture will be Bubbly and frothy.
- Sieve the All purpose flour ( APF) to make sure there is no lumps.
- Now add oil and vanilla essence with the yogurt mixture and mix well.
- Sift the flour in three batches and fold it.
- Beat the batter for less than 30 Seconds to make sure there is no lumps in the batter.
- Pour it in the prepared Muffin Pans and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Once it is done , Allow it to cool in a wire rack .
- Make sure it is completely cool before frosting them.
For the Salted Caramel Butter Cream:
- In a bowl , Beat the butter till it is smooth and creamy .
- Little by little add the icing sugar and keep beating till everything is combined well.
- Add Vanilla extract and caramel sauce . Beat it till everything is mixed well.
- Lastly add the cream/ milk and beat for another minute.
- Put the icing in the piping bag and decorate as you wish.
- If you are baking anything eggless try to bake it on the day of the event/ Party.
- Eggless Cake/Cupcakes tend to go harder the next day.
- You can Spray some Sugar syrup to keep the moistness.
- I feel eggless cakes/cupcakes are lesser in sweet than the usual cakes so I normally prefer buttercreams especially Caramel buttercream / Chocolate Buttercream for the eggless version .
- Caramel sauce can be stored in a airtight box/bottle and refrigerate for more than a month.
Linking the post to Cake Mela