Simiti / koulouri is a circular bread with sesame seeds on top . They are very common in Greece and Turkey . Simiti's size , chewiness / crunchiness , texture varies in each region . They are also called as Turkish Bagel in USA . These little cuties makes a good filling breakfast . As soon as i took it out from the oven , i had some cream cheese applied on the middle and ate it ASAP . Homemade warm breads are the best and this was out of the world.
The outer part of the bread was crunchy and inside chewy . The flavor and taste of roasted sesame and along with the slight sweetness from honey was out of the world.
Are you getting tempted . I bet ,you will never regret baking these .
For this months challenge on Baking Eggless group , +Priya Suresh from Priyas Versatile Recipes had suggested this recipe . Congrats +Gayathri Kumar and each and every one from the group for entering the third year of successful eggless baking .
All purpose flour - 2 Cups
Yeast - 2 TSP
Sugar - 1 1/2 TBLS
Salt - 1 TSP
Warm Milk +/- 1 Cup
Olive oil - 1 1/2 TBLS
For topping :
Honey - 3 TBLS
Water - 1/4 Cup
Roasted Sesame Seeds - 1/2 Cup
- Mix all the dry ingredients separately and mix all wet ingredients ( use only 1 TBLS ) separately .
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients .
- Using a dough hook mix it for 7- 10 minutes .
- When all the ingredients are mixed well and formed a dough , place it in the counter top.
- Oil your hands knead the dough for couple of minutes .Sprinkle some flour over it and knead really well .
- Place the dough in a greased bowl , Cover it with cling wrap. Keep it in a warm place . Allow it to proof for an hour .
- Meanwhile Roast the sesame seeds till they are golden in color and allow it to cool completely.
- Punch the dough and release the air. Divide the dough and make equal portions.
- Divide one portion of dough into two . Roll it out to form 2 ropes. Combine the edges and twist the dough to form a braided bread . Bring the ends together , pinch it and seal .
- Place the bread in the baking tray .
- Pre- heat the oven at 350F.
- Mix the honey and water , generously brush it over the bread . ( I had little honey so i brushed it , original recipe ask to dip the bread in the liquid mixture ) .
- Sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds over the bread .
- And now its time to bake the simities . Bake the bread for 20 - 25 minutes till they turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven , Allow it to cool .
- Serve it warm .
- This is my way of doing the bread . I know the yeast i use is still active . In case if you are not sure about the yeast you use , Replace half a cup of milk to warm water . Mix the sugar in warm water and sprinkle the yeast over it . Once the yeast mixture becomes frothy add it to the bread and proceed with the instructions .
- Keeping the dough in a warm place is necessary . It helps the bread to proof . I kept it inside the microwave as it is so cold over here .
- Original recipe called for grape juice . As i didn't have it i replaced it to honey .
- Usually this breads needs to be dipped in the grape juice , I brushed it with honey as i was going out of honey .
- This breads do not need second time proofing .
Monday - Mix it up Monday, The Scoop, Made with love Monday, Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks , Inspire me monday , Make the scene monday , Inspiration Monday ,cooking for seven dwarfs , Much Ado about monday , Craft - o-Maniac monday , Made by you monday
Tuesday - Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, , Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home , Tasty Tuesday @ Anyonita Nibbles, Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen, Handmade tuesday , In and Out of kitchen
Wednesday -Buns in the oven , Lady behind the curtain , Wined down wednesday, Wonderful food wednesday ,Show and share wednesday , The wednesday roundup , Weekend Retreat , Delish Dessert Party
Friday - Freedom Friday , foodie friday , pin junki , foodtastic friday , weekend wonders , friday food frenzy , weekend potluck , play party pin , Fantastic Friday
Sunday - sunday sharing pinterest party