Sunday afternoons are really special . That's the day we make good lengthy meal , starting with a good Flavored Biriyani or flavored Rice , a good spicy gravy , side dish and a Salad or Raita .
This how I cook most of the Sundays ( only on Sundays :p). This oven roasted pepper chicken is a must at our home as we both love the flavor of pepper .
This dish needs very little chili powder , most of the spiciness is from the pepper.
When i plan that i am going to make this chicken for lunch on Sunday , Last thing i do on Saturday night is cut , clean and put the chicken to marinade.
To make this pepper chicken , I make a usual pepper chicken semi - gravy , then bake it in the oven to get roasted. The recipe below is for 2 people , If you want to make more double / triple the recipe .
To Marinade : ( Over night )
Chicken Quarter - 1 ( Cut it into small pieces with bones ) .
Chili powder - 1 TSP
Coriander Powder - 1/2 TSP ( optional )
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 TSP
Salt - 1/2 TSP
Yogurt - 2 TBLS
Oil - 2 TSP
For the Gravy :
Cardamom - 2
Cinnamon - 1 , 2" piece
Cloves - 2
Bay Leaf - 1
Onions - 1/2 Cup Sliced / Chopped
Garlic - 1 1/2 TBLS Sliced
Ginger Paste - 1 TSP ( It can be Omitted too )
Freshly Grounded Pepper powder - 1- 2 TBLS ( Depending on your spiciness )
Tomatoes - 1/4 Cup
Cilantro Leaves -1/4 Cup Chopped
Water - 1/4 Cup
- Bring the chicken to room temperature .
- Using a stone masher , Coarsely mash cardamom , cinnamon and cloves ( Do not powder it ) . Keep that aside .
- Now mash the pepper corns . Keep that aside .
- Heat some oil in the pan , add coarsely mashed spices and the bay leaf . When you can smell the aroma of the spices add the sliced onions and sprinkle some salt.
- Saute them till they turn golden brown.
- Then add sliced garlic . Saute it for couple of minutes,
- Add the ginger paste . Cook till everything sticks to the pan .
- At this stage add the chopped tomatoes. sprinkle some salt and half the pepper. When the oil oozes out add the marinaded chicken .
- Close it with the lid , keep the heat at medium .
- After 10 minutes , you will see water oozes out from chicken . At this stage check the salt and spice level . Add if you want some more . ( Do not add too much as when the chicken gets roasted you might feel too much of salt )
- When the chicken is fully cooked and the gravy comes to semi gravy stage Sprinkle some Cilantro. Give it a quick mix .
- Pre heat the oven at 350 F.
- Now add the chicken and the gravy to the corning dish / bake ware .
- Bake it for 10-15 minutes till the Gravy reaches the bottom of the dish .
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve.
- Do not bake it for too long as it may harden the chicken / or it will be rubbery .
- Add chili powder / pepper / salt according to your taste.
- I used bone-in chicken , you can make this with boneless chicken too .
Monday - Mix it up Monday, The Scoop, Made with love Monday, Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks , Inspire me monday , Make the scene monday , Inspiration Monday ,cooking for seven dwarfs , Much Ado about monday , Craft - o-Maniac monday , Made by you monday
Tuesday - Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, , Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home , Tasty Tuesday @ Anyonita Nibbles, Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen, Handmade tuesday , In and Out of kitchen
Wednesday -Buns in the oven , Lady behind the curtain , Wined down wednesday, Wonderful food wednesday ,Show and share wednesday , The wednesday roundup , Weekend Retreat , Delish Dessert Party
Friday - Freedom Friday , foodie friday , pin junki , foodtastic friday , weekend wonders , friday food frenzy , weekend potluck , play party pin , Fantastic Friday
Sunday - sunday sharing pinterest party