This month we the crew from Food of the world are Travelling to Mexico . I am a day late to publish my Recipe for this Month . So many things happened in a month , main thing was i broke my laptop , had to send it for service , Lost all my data ,including the photos i had shot ( I haven't posted it yet too ) , i was sick .... . OK now everything apart after a month of break i am back.
I always do feel that Indian food and Mexican food are quite similar . Both the cuisines uses various flavorful spices . As i cook Indian food daily , when ever we plan to dine out , we usually prefer to go to a Mexican Restaurant. I usually order Shrimp and Fish Fajitas and Spicy Tortilla soup. Oh my gosh , the Mexican restaurant we usually go is the Best Mexican grill i have ever dined . The fajitas are loaded with Shrimp , Fish and Cheese . The best part is the free Tortilla chips with home made dips :) .
I had prepared Flavorful Mexican Rice . I served with a dollop of Sour cream and topped with Salsa . I am pretty sure these kinds of rice doesn't need a gravy .
Long grain rice - 1/2 Cup ( i used basmathi )
Chopped onions - 1/4 Cup
Chopped Capsicum- 1/4 Cup
Green Peas - 1/4 Cup
Sweet Corn - 1/4 Cup
Cumin powder - 1/2 TSP
Salt - To Taste
Tomato Puree / Sauce - 1/4 Cup ( I used spiced sauce )
Chili Powder - If needed
Bay Leaf - 2
Butter - 1 TBSP
Oil - 1 TBSP
Spring Onions - To Garnish
Water / Chicken Broth - 2 to 21/2 Cups
- Add the butter and oil in the pan. Once the Butter / Oil is nice and hot , add the bay leaf and rice .
- Make sure it is in the medium heat , Roast it till it is golden brown .
- Add the chopped onions and capsicum . Cook till the onions turn brown .
- Add the Corn and Peas . Sprinkle some salt , chili powder and cumin powder .
- Add tomato sauce . Mix it completely .
- After 5 minutes add the broth or water . Mix it once . Close it with the lid and cook it completely .
- Before that make sure there is enough salt in it .
- Finally when the rice is fully cooked , Mix it once to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle some spring onions .
- Serve it with sour cream and salsa .
Do visit all the co-host by clicking their photos